When To Use PhoneGap And Its Cons?
When to Use PhoneGap:
- Creating Simple Mobile Web Apps: PhoneGap is an excellent choice for developing a straightforward mobile web app that behaves like a native app. While PhoneGap can access native APIs, it may not be the best option for highly complex native applications.
- Desiring a Cost-Efficient Solution: PhoneGap is a cost-effective framework, making it a good choice if you work within budget constraints. Its user-friendly interface is also beginner-friendly, making it suitable for those new to app development.
Cons of PhoneGap:
While PhoneGap has its advantages, it also comes with some limitations and drawbacks:
- Limited Plugin Support: PhoneGap lacks support for plugins with hooks, which can limit their functionality. Unlike WordPress platforms, where developers can easily connect their code to the core, themes, and plugins, PhoneGap’s plugin system may need to be more flexible.
- Not Suitable for Gaming Apps: PhoneGap is primarily designed for building simple applications and may not be suitable for developing gaming apps. It may experience performance issues and freezes when handling notifications, making it less ideal for gaming development.
- iOS Development Requires a Mac: To develop iOS apps with PhoneGap, you need access to the necessary iOS SDKs, which can only be downloaded on a Mac. This means that with a Mac, you can create iOS apps using PhoneGap.
- Outdated Plugins: Over time, plugins used in PhoneGap projects may become outdated or less efficient, potentially causing issues during development. It’s important to keep plugin dependencies up to date to avoid complications later in your project.
PhoneGap can be a valuable tool for specific app development scenarios, especially when cost-effectiveness and cross-platform compatibility are vital priorities. To learn more about this valuable tool, join Phonegap Online Training. However, it may not be the best choice for complex native applications or gaming projects. FITA Academy offers training with a hundred per cent placement for the students. Developers should carefully consider their specific requirements before choosing PhoneGap as their development platform.